Thursday, January 17, 2008

MuZik s7@r GoriLLaz s7yl3!!!1!!!

Blam!

Here I am rockin' Guitar Hero Gorillaz style! I nicked the pose from this character from guitar hero, and I have to say that I'm pleased with how it turned out. I considered having my character doing something weird and random like Aaron's character, but in the end I decided to go with more of a rock & roll feel which I felt would suit the overall topic better.

In case the shirt I'm wearing isn't very clear, those are testicles. ...I've been known to rock SO hard that people's extremidies spontaneously combust, balls included.

As for my process, I sketched everything out on Monday night and then scanned the sucker into Illustrator to "ink" it. I then took the inked version into Photoshop where I applied a lick of digital paint and voila!

I should throw the "balls of fire" shirt design on Threadless...imagine randomly meeting someone wearing that shirt one day! Ha!

Adios amigos!

6 comments:

Frankie Stellato said...

Rockin out to so GH eh? You gotta rock band it up soon Dave!

The drawing as a whole I find is funny, however I would have to say the same thing that I told Rob, I don't think your character portrays the Gorillaz style. As for the BG your perspective is out of whack, it seems as though you have a 1 point perspective room with 2 different 2 point perspectives for the furniture. Also the little rat, as funny as he is, is on a separate plane entirely. And the balls...what can I say about the flaming balls but....EHHHHHHHHH! (fonzie thumbs)

Dave Dind said...

Okay, so what is it about Gorillaz style that I'm missing? And does the fact that the background perspective is off make it any less like the Gorillaz style, or less funny for that matter?

Regardless, I had fun drawing this, especially since I've never done the Gorillaz style before. It would've been nice to have had some constructive criticism to actually reply to, but maybe next time, eh?

Frankie Stellato said...

Dave don't think for a second that I was putting you or this drawing down. I was just saying I don't feel it was Gorillaz style. I didn't once say the BG was making it less Gorillaz style...All I was saying was that the perspective was off(the constructive criticism you were looking for exaplined how it was off). As for why I think it doesn't look like Gorillaz Style, the drawing you did was more of a cartoony style as apposed to a more comic style or slightly more detailed drawing.

Mark said...

lol @ the flaming balls. as for the perspective, im pretty sure Dave could do it properly, he did have Zub for layout and live to talk about it. ;). lol

Sevenstrokes said...

Nice. After Rockband.... I can't go back to Guitar Hero.

Red Menace said...

Nice pose man, i think the biggest thing about the Gorillaz style that's different here is the line quality, there's a drastic change in line thickness from his outline to, say, his hands and facial features, hope that's remotely helpful!